Tuesday 12 February 2008

Char Siew II


I found this recipe from Lily Ng's website, it looks so tempting. So I decided to try it and it just out fantastic! I love Char Siew with a little bit of fat.
I have to say-Lily, thanks for sharing your great recipes and you are definately a great cook!

I do not have garlic powder, so I used fresh chopped garlic. I did add some red colouring(prefer my char siew a bit reddish colour).

Here are the recipes:
Ingredients:
1kg Pork belly, cut into 2 inches strips

Marinade:
5 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tsp Fresh garlic, chopped
4 tsp Soy sauce
1 tbsp Dark soy sauce
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Shao Xing Rice wine
1 tsp Five spice powder
1/4 Salt
1/2 tsp Red colouring(optional)
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oil

Method:
1. Marinade pork with all the ingredients for 2 hours or overnight.

2. Cook pork together with the marinade in a wok for 30-45mins(You may add some  water from time to time) until the gravy thickens Stir occasionally to prevent burning.

3. Preheat oven to 250c, grill the pork until it is charred(not burnt), 3-5 mins each side turn to the other side for even grilling.
4. Deep the pork into the gravy in the wok and return pork to grill just for a short while, just enough to give pork some shine.
5. Cut the meat into slices. Serve with the sauce which which cooked with the meat earlier.

Tips:
1. I used 1kg of meat, after cooking it weight 600gm.

2. If you prefer lean char siew, you may use pork tenderloin.

3. Aside from Pork belly, you can also use Pork shoulder(cheaper).

No comments: